We provide insight, so you can provide oversight — and foresight
Competent BoardsTM is the original and premier creator of online environment, social, governance (ESG) and Climate training programs for board directors and senior business professionals.
Our world-class professional development and advisory services help inform boards what is needed to respond successfully to today’s enormous economic, environmental and social challenges. More than 150 of the world’s leading board members, C-suite executives, investors and other experts make up our faculty who contribute to our Designation and Certificate programs. Their knowledge enables us to bring better decision-making and oversight to boardrooms and C-suites around the world.
Although we are headquartered in Toronto, Canada, our remote programs touch all regions of the world.
To educate and empower board members and senior executives to make better-informed decisions that impact the world today — and tomorrow.
A world where all leaders are stewards of the future.
Helle Bank Jorgensen
Founder and Chief Executive Officer; author, Stewards of the Future: A Guide for Competent Boards
Helle Bank Jorgensen is an internationally recognized expert on sustainable business practices, with a 30-year record of turning environmental, social, and governance (ESG) risks into innovative and profitable business opportunities. She works with many global Fortune 500 board members and executives, as well as smaller companies and investors.
We are privileged to have the support, expertise, and strategic thought partnership of our Advisory Board – an international network of subject-matter experts that help ensure our programming develops future-fit leaders.
Director Global Partnerships, Arizona State University; Julie Ann Wrigley Global Futures Laboratory; Ex. Director Asia-Pacific, Global Institute of Sustainability and Innovation; Professor of Practice, Thunderbird School of Global Management (Oceania)
Managing Executive and Managing Director, Absa Group; Chartered Director (SA), Board and Leadership - Corporate and Public Sector, Fintech, Social Enterprise (South Africa)
Emily Waita Macharia
Director, Public Affairs, The Coca-Cola Company; Board Director, East African Business Council (Kenya)
Member, Board of Directors of TMX Group, Investment Management Corporation of Ontario (IMCO), Enterra Solutions LLC, and Niyogin Fintech Ltd. (Canada)
Partner, Paul Hastings, LLP (USA)
L+1: Líderes Impulsando un Desarrollo Sostenible; Corporate Vice President, Grupo TDM (Latin America)
Board Director, Non-Executive Director, Sunrise Banks, NA; World Benchmarking Alliance (USA)
Non-Executive Director, BlackRock World Mining Trust plc; Non-Executive Director, Galiano Gold & Eldorado Gold; Trustee, Camborne School of Mines Trust; Board Member, Women in Mining. (UK)
Board Member, BlackRock Multi-Asset Complex Fund; Member, AICPA’s ESG Task Force Committee; Managing Partner, Urish Popeck & Co LLC (USA)
Partner, Baker McKenzie Toronto; Chair Policy Committee, Baker McKenzie International; Member, UN Global Compact Advisory Group on Supply Chain (Canada)
Partner, H.I. Executive Consulting (HIEC)
Chair, World Benchmarking Alliance, Corporate Reporting Council, and Clear Insurance Management; Board Member, Shift and UK Financial Reporting Council; Founding CEO, International Integrated Reporting Council (UK)
Shailesh Haribhakti & Associates Chartered Accountants; Non-Executive Chairman, L&T Finance Holdings Ltd, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Ltd and Blue Star Ltd
Founder, Corston-Smith Asset Management; Board Director and Chairman, Investment Committee and Risk and Governance Committee, Federal Land Development Authority (Malaysia)
Torben Möger Pedersen
CEO, PensionDanmark (Denmark)
Meet Our Team
The only way to conquer great things every day is with great people. These are the people that make the magic happen:
Client Relations Lead
Finance & Human Resource Administrator
Director, Marketing & Communications
Mara Di Loreto
Web and Digital Content Associate
Client Engagement Coordinator
Chief Operating Officer
Visual Communications and Operations Specialist
Program Admin Assistant
Senior Manager, Programs
Join the team!
Competent Boards is a dynamic, impact-oriented company serving an international community of business professionals. We are connected by our shared mission to elevate Environmental, Social and Governance competency in boardrooms around the globe.
Our amazing benefits
Our Current Openings
If you want to work for a company with a passion for purpose, Competent Boards is for you.
What we do
Competent Boards is a Toronto-based company providing environment, social, and governance (ESG) training for senior executives. Our world-class programs draw from over 100 global subject-matter experts and are designed by and for board members, executives, and those who advise them. For more information visit competentboards.com.
We need an awesome Digital Communications Associate to join our rapidly growing team!
Are you digitally savvy? Does creating compelling content that influences change make you tick? If so, this role is for you.
Ideally, you have post-secondary education in communications or digital marketing, plus 2-5 years of experience in internal or external communications, social media, video production and editing, or an equivalent combination of education/experience.
As our Digital Communications Specialist, you will work with a small team to implement a range of Competent Boards’ marketing and communication activities and projects. You will help develop and execute strategic communications and marketing activities, collaborate on an editorial calendar, create associated content, manage social media accounts and support participant outreach and engagement.
This is a key role that requires a strong roll-up your sleeves and “get it done” mentality. We’re a smart, highly collaborative team that is helping companies around the world transition their business strategies to address major challenges, particularly those related to climate change, through world-class education programs. Note this role is virtual and 100% work-from-home.
Please submit a brief cover letter with your resume to Shyra Craig. Resumes received without a cover letter will not be considered.
- Research and develop content to share on social media and with traditional media and influencers
- Create relevant posts on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram to raise awareness and to grow our global followers
- Create/edit video content to highlight testimonials, our expert faculty, and generally promote our programs
- Support content development for Competent Boards’ e-newsletters, webinars and other digital marketing projects
- Support marketing/communication efforts aligned to Competent Boards’ primary business objectives
- Prepare analytics reports from a variety of sources (such as social media data, surveys, heat mapping apps, and Google Analytics) to determine the effectiveness of communication activities and projects, and recommend future improvements and search engine optimization solutions.
- Take an active role in identifying issues with digital communications processes and making improvements to website and other mediums
- Perform other duties as required to support Competent Boards’ business and strategic goals
- 4 years of relevant work experience with demonstrated skills in communications and public relations, and above-average knowledge of climate change and business.
- University degree in PR, Communications, International Relations, Journalism or related field or equivalent experience.
- Excellent writing skills and a flair for copywriting.
Ability to think both creatively and strategically to help support business development.
- Ability to collaborate and be able to mentor less experienced Comms team members
- Previous media relations experience and proven ability to cultivate relationships with national and international press.
- Ability to pitch the media and to run PR campaigns that deliver measurable results and meet objectives.
Experience providing strategic communications counsel to C-level leadership and all levels of staff.
- Experience in market and competitive analysis (identifying competitors; tracking and increasing the share of voice).
- Ability to prioritize and plan effectively.
Possess a growth mindset and a passion for mentorship.
Ability to build and manage an effective team.
What we're looking for
- Minimum of two years of relevant work experience with demonstrated skills in communications and digital marketing, preferably within a corporate environment as part of a communications or marketing team
- Strong written and oral skills
- Experience of working in a fast-paced environment and adapting seamlessly to change
- Strong understanding of current and emerging social media and digital channels
- Basic video production and editing skills
- Exceptional awareness and use of all current and relevant social media tools and metrics for marketing B2B including, but not limited to: LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube
- Strong knowledge of, and experience with, digital channels and web-related tools such as HTML and WordPress, good working knowledge of Office 365 and/or Google Suite
- Experience with Hubspot CRM an asset
- Graphic design experience, good knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Canva
- Results-oriented and enthusiastic team player who thrives on challenges and can respond in an agile manner to new priorities
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
Please submit a brief cover letter with your resume. Resumes received without a cover letter will not be considered. Send your resume and/or questions about this opportunity to the attention of Shyra Craig (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Reporting to: Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications
Location: Head office is in Ontario, candidates can be located anywhere in Canada.
We greatly appreciate all who take the time to apply, however only those shortlisted will hear back from us. At this time we will only be accepting applications from candidates living in Canada.
Application deadline: 2022-01-23
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $40,000.00-$48,000.00 per year
- Bonus pay
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Work from home
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Team members located in the GTA are usually expected to gather once per month to work together, however this has been suspended until provincial health protocols indicate it's safe to do so.
- What's your experience with video creation/editing?
Competent Boards Proudly Supports
Don't see a position?
Global Head of Thought Leadership, Invesco (Switzerland)
I would not just recommend it – I would insist upon it! This has been by far one of the most worthwhile initiatives I have taken part in during my continuing professional development. The program is superbly constructed, supremely relevant and highly effective.
Another great reason for participating is the opportunity to meet so many amazing people. The whole experience has been extremely rewarding on every level.
Non-executive director at Credit Suisse International, Chair of Board Risk Committee
As a new-ish Non-Executive Director I was keen to get more familiar with the key challenges boards grapple with. It’s a fantastic network of NED’s, excellent discussions and intellectual stimulation on the most current and pressing issues facing boards. It provides a fantastic collection of relevant reference material, which I am actually using in my NED work. The whole program is well thought through and tailored for global board leaders or those that aspire to become one.
Senior Specialist, Sustainability, External Affairs & Legal, Telstra Corporation Limited, Australia (ASX: TLS)
This was a tremendous opportunity to connect with professionals from every continent who are involved in advising Boards on critical issues. The curriculum was rich and the number of senior executives with whom we had the chance to interact was nothing short of extraordinary.